The 120-year-old building, once home to priests and struggling students, now houses a restored 36-room hotel and event center. Whether you are coming for an event or looking for accommodation as an individual traveller in the immediate vicinity of the City Park, you can book a room in a house with a special history at 50 Damjanich Street.
In the early 19th century, the area of the 7th district was known as Chicago, where apartment blocks were built one after the other at the end of the 19th century, and which quickly became the most densely populated area of the capital. The inhabitants of the large, bright tenements were artists, scientists, politicians and doctors - the walls of the houses on Damjanich Street still bear the marble plaques of some of them.
Building 50 on the street, for example, was used as a boarding school for poor children, and for more than 50 years it was also home to the priests of the Congregation of Mary, who taught the faith to the young. There was also a chapel in the courtyard, consecrated in 1901 for the Regnum Marianum Catholic Community Association by the Transylvanian Bishop Gusztáv Károly Majláth.
The building became the property of the communists in 1951, and the Archdiocese of Esztergom-Budapest got it back only after the regime change. Following the renovation of the tarnished building, an event centre and a 36-room hotel opened in 2020 under the name D50. And although its courtyard chapel was bombed during the siege of Budapest, a consecrated chapel for wedding ceremonies once again stands within its walls.
Featuring en suite bathrooms with showers, the hotel’s minimalist-style rooms are designed to meet modern urban needs and include a large-screen LED TV, minibar and individually controlled air conditioner. Rooms are available in single and double bed configurations, and guests with older children can stay in the family apartments. Although the hotel is located in the city centre, guests arriving by car are welcome to use the hotel’s own internal car park and a nearby underground car park.